- Practising Speech and Language Therapists comprising qualified persons, having been so qualified in the field for longer than one year, and currently who are working in Kenya;
- Newly qualified Speech and Language Therapists comprising qualified persons within their first year post qualification in the field who are currently working in Kenya;
- Volunteer Speech and Language Therapists comprising persons of foreign origin who are in Kenya to fulfil a voluntary position in the field;
- Non-practising Speech and Language Therapists comprising persons who have qualified as a therapist, worked in the field, but are not engaged in practice at the time of joining the Association
- Affiliated Speech and Language Therapists comprising persons who are living overseas but who have an interest in maintaining ties with the profession in Kenya including but not limited to Kenyans living abroad, expatriates who have volunteered or worked in Kenya and foreign therapists doing research in Kenya.
- Student Speech and Language Therapists comprising persons who are training to become a speech and language therapist either in Kenya or abroad;
- Speech and Language Therapy Assistants comprising persons who are working with a Speech and Language Therapist and are being supported to carry out speech and language therapy programmes to clients
- Honorary members where on the recommendation of a member, any person who is not a speech and language therapist or assistant, but who works with people with communication difficulties and who has rendered meritorious service in his/her field, may be elected an honorary member by a resolution passed an Annual General Meeting
Persons will have to meet points 1, 2 and 3 below in order to be eligible for these memberships
- Members falling under categories 1 to 5 above (i.e. with the title ‘Speech and Language Therapist’) will need to submit a copy of their qualification certificate (compulsory) and a copy of their certificate of registration to any other professional body, preferably from ASHA, RCSLT or HPCUK. Qualifications maybe at a masters, degree or diploma level. Volunteer Speech and Language Therapists will need to provide a letter of appointment to a particular organization verifying their position as a volunteer such as Voluntary Service Overseas, Yellow House, etc.
- Student Speech and Language Therapists will need to submit proof of student registration including programme title or major such as Speech-Language Pathology, details of the university, student number and type of programme they are pursuing e.g. degree, master or diploma.
- Speech and Language Therapy Assistants will need to submit copies of any training that they have undertaken in the field of speech and language therapy and a summary of their work experience in the field (verified by a member speech and language therapist). This information will be vetted by the Speech and Language Therapist members and membership status determined
Membership subscription costs:
- Practising Speech and Language Therapists will be required to pay a joining fee of KSH 5000 and a yearly renewal fee of KSH 3000.
- Newly qualified, Volunteer, Non-Practising, Affiliated and Student Speech and Language Therapists will be required to pay a joining fee of KSH 3000 and a yearly renewal fee of KSH 1500.
- Speech and Language Therapy Assistant members be required to pay a joining fee of KSH 3000 and a yearly renewal fee of KSH 1500.
- Honorary members will not be required to pay a subscription fee
To apply for membership please:
1. Fill in the ASLTK Membership Application Form and send to email@example.com.
2. Send copies of the required documents (as indicated above) to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Arrange payment of the subscription fee (to be agreed after the above documents have been sent and approved)
4. Newly Qualified Therapists are required to complete the Newly Qualified Framework with an experienced practising SLT member (to be agreed after the above requirements have been met)